History

                                                

PALMER FAMILY COAT OF ARMS

The coat of arms portrays a greyhound and three trefoils, which are the emblems of Charles Palmer Sparkling Wines

The greyhound represents courage, vigilance and loyalty. The three trefoils represent perpetuity. During the medieval era, greyhounds or sighthounds, as they are otherwise known, because of their ability to spot their quarry and give chase at speed, were used by the nobility to hunt game.

Charles Palmer’s family originated from Angmering West Sussex. The family line dates back to Ralph Palmer born in 1275.

It was during King Henry VIII’s reign that Robert Palmer was granted the lands and estate at Parham, where his son Sir Thomas Palmer built Parham House .

Charles Palmer’s father, Charles returned to the UK from New Zealand in the 1960’s with his wife, and two young sons, Graham and Charles. Having spent 16 years farming there, he yearned for his family home in England. Young Charles, also known as Mason, his second name, (as Grandfather was also Charles) was 8 years old at the time.

Charles settled in his ancestral motherland of Sussex and followed his father and brother into farming. In 1998 Charles (Mason) and his young family moved to the medieval town of Winchelsea, and in 2006 Charles decided the time was right to plant vines.

Winchelsea in East Sussex, is no stranger to wine, with a great history of wine trading dating back to the Norman conquest of 1066. Initially the Palmer family transformed 5 acres of their working farm into a flourishing vineyard at a time when English sparkling wines in particular, were receiving world acclaim for their quality with many rivalling Champagne. Today there are 25 acres of vines with a further 20 acres earmarked for planting.